HEADLINE: FOOTBALL FIELD; HIGHER ENROLLMENT
WHAT: Summary of March 8 School Board Meeting
- Follow-up on replacement of the artificial turf surface of the high school football field. Private donations from businesses and town residents, especially residents of Firerock , are now over $300,000, which would offset the majority of the $525,000 cost of replacing the field surface. Additional donations to offset District expenditures are anticipated. Astroturf company is honoring the warranty on materials, so the cost is for removal of the old surface, prep, and installation with a new 10-year maintenance and replacement warranty. After discussion, the Board voted to authorize the project.
- There has been concern about dropping enrollment in recent years. Superintendent Jagodzinski reported that there has been a net increase of 86 students enrolled in the current academic year. Also, enrollment in the preschool for next academic year is already ahead of current numbers, with several months remaining before August start of school. The Board approved a schedule of very affordable fees to promote enrollment.
- The Board approved a 2% salary increase for teachers and staff.
- Many parents and student athletes were in attendance at the meeting. Failure to proceed with the project is thought likely to cause families of student athletes to transfer from the District, with a negative impact on enrollment.
- Enrollment in preschool is anticipated to improve the likelihood that those students will remain enrolled in the District, supporting continued growth in enrollment numbers in future years.
- Salary adjustments are designed to aid retention of teachers and staff and limit departure for neighboring Districts.
CALL TO ACTION:
- Attend FHUSD Board meetings to learn about spending & other issues.